Friday, December 12, 2014

2014 Gratitude Series #2

Today I would like to thank Death.
Yes, death!


I lost someone dear a few days back and I realised yet again that life is short, uncertain and fleeting. What we have is the now. If we postpone something we want to do, we may not get a chance to do that something ever. I postponed meeting that lady, and when I wanted to do so, she was gone. Forever. Yes, I'll meet her in spirit. Yes, she's still around. But this life, as we know it, is a physical existence and the exact same sensations will not come again.

I'm grateful to Death for the following reasons:

  1. Death reminds me that life is short and I must do the things I want to do immediately, rather than fill it with unimportant/inconsequential stuff. So it brings life itself into focus.
  2. Death reminds me that I only have the now and I better choose well...
  3. Death reminds me that I was born to die. And the interval is what I have and I must use it well
  4. Death is a reminder that whoever we are, we all must die. He's the great leveller. We are all equal and one need not bow their head down to another since we are all mortal
  5. Death reminds me that change is inevitable and welcome. What we know today will be gone tomorrow. And a new dawn will be born to die again. 
  6. Death is the shadow that rides on my shoulder to give me the impetus to get up in the morning and live today fully - squeeze out every drop of the day because tomorrow, today will be dead.
Death is my friend and I'm grateful for his presence. He cleans up the world and gives us a new slate everyday to write out our destiny.

Go live today so you can die proudly when the time comes knowing fully well that you squeezed out every drop of every day to the fullest and never regretted any moment of your life. 

 Live well my eternal friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment