Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Showers of Blessings: 2014 Gratitude Series - #4



Yesterday 17th December 2014, I celebrated my 52nd birthday. Normally I never keep track of the years and my age. But today I'm a little nostalgic.
I remember the birthdays of my childhood. While in school, most of my birthdays will be during the 2nd term exams. Most years I wouldn't even remember it's my birthday because I'll be busy swotting for my exams and its only when my siblings or family members wish that I would know hey its my birthday. There were no mobile phones with reminders. Even a landline was a luxury then and not many people had one those days. No internet or facebook to send up reminders.
Life was slow paced, peaceful, happy, no sense of keeping up with the joneses, et al. It was ok if someone wished or someone didn't. It was no big deal.
I remember the first birthday that I felt emotional about, was the first one away from home. I was 21 and in Bangalore and was staying away from my family soon after college. And those days we used to receive a card by post (hand delivered by the mail man). I received a birthday card from my family in Chennai where all my sisters and brothers (3 sisters, 2 brothers) and parents had scribbled messages in one card. My sisters had scribbled some senti stuff about how they missed me and I knew then that I missed them and missed having them with me that day.
We've come a long way since then. I've had some wild birthday parties. Some very quiet and introspective ones and have been wished from 10,000 miles away by friends who remembered to call through scratchy telephone lines.
But yesterday was such a blessing where I remembered how far we have come. Over the years, I've made so many friends and connections through so many different circles that we operate in. School friends, College friends, Trekking friends, Zumba friends, Dancing friends, Work friends, Neighbour friends, Family friends, Social work friends, Vendor friends, Client friends, BNI friends, Round table friends, travel friends and even friends' friends,
So many people have touched my life and vice-versa and today we are able to stay connected in this wired and wireless world.  We get reminders of our friends' birthdays so we don't forget to send them a greeting and I hear that some  people even automate their birthday greetings so they never miss out on wishing their friends / contacts.
What ever the gadgets that reminds or automates, when I received so many greetings yesterday, I felt like I was receiving showers of blessings... The phone pings continuously, between work and travel I'm constantly reminded that it is my special day and so many people contributed yesterday to make me feel special, wanted and blessed.

My birthday started a few days before the day with email coming from an old friend from the US and a first facebook greeting from Mr Kumaravel. And then on the B-day Saravanan reminded my running group that it was my birthday and I was wished by all my running partners and in the process even a group of neighbours returning from a badminton game. So even before the day started I was already drenched in a shower of blessings and good wishes.
Then when I logged into FB I discovered that another friend and neighbour has put up a post in my residential community page and wished me and another neighbour friend Dhanya for our brithdays. We both share the same day. That started another avalanche of greetings from neighbours who knew us as well as those who didn't.
The day was exceptionally busy at work since I had a photo shoot in a client's company and I had to drive 2 hrs from my place to theirs. The phone kept pinging and blinking continuously and I was hard pressed to try and reply at every signal. It was a loosing battle and I decided that I will do it later in the day. As the day progressed the shoot took an hour longer than I expected and I ran late for my next meeting... So the unattended messages and calls just piled up and I just decided to take it as it comes rather than stress myself trying to respond immediately and individually.
The dilemma was, do I crib about it or rejoice in it and enjoy the attention? I managed to choose the latter 99.99% of the time :)
By the end of the day, after the work, after returning home and taking my wife out for the customary outing and visits, I took stock of the fact that over the years, I've managed to collect this motley group of people who are spread all around the globe and we connect a few times a year, over each others birthdays, and new year at least if not more times. We're so far apart and yet so connected.
So many people have influenced me, helped me, encouraged me, been helped and encouraged by me and we've shared so much.
One of the best gifts I got was from CB a friend of mine in Bangalore who shared one little characteristic of mine that means so much to him. It just drenched me with a shower of love and appreciation that I felt blessed to have such a good friend.
A little word, a positive thought, a kind gesture is all it takes to make someone's day.
Let's spread this little gestures of love and kindness to each other. Someone might just need it today to lift them from whatever little hole they are in.
Love you all for all your love and kindness. If I've not replied or responded individually to any one amongst you, please forgive me and I take this opportunity to thank you for having me in your thoughts and prayers.
Love you so much
Iggy
ps: the picture above was created by my BNI friend SPS Murrali who is now a good friend even outside BNI :)

No comments:

Post a Comment